Wednesday, November 25, 2009

You’re the Sweetest Potato in My Dreams

Today was an oh-so-delicious day filled with rich aromas, alluring tastes and blissful treats. It began early as my mom called for me that our thanksgiving dinner was ready. Little did she know I was waiting for her right under her feet, “oh you’re right there, you must be hungry” she said with a giggle. Boy, she wasn’t joking, I was starvinggggg.

As family and friends gathered at the thanksgiving table to celebrate love and thankfulness, we all sat together, going one-by-one speaking of what we were most thankful for this year. I was thankful for my new family who brought me in from the shelter and for a sweet end-seat at the dining room table!


Finally, it was time to eat, thank goodness because there was enough drool on the table to fill a small bucket! We passed around large dishes of sweet potato pie, Tofurky roast, green bean casserole, salad, stuffing, homemade bread, cranberry sauce, shepherds pie and so much more! Each bite was more savory then the next, delectable, enduring and mouth-watering. The thanksgiving dinner filled our home with a scrumptious aroma that could drive any canine crazy. As I sat there, at the table, chowing down on my Tofurky roast, I heard someone calling my name really loud…Harley! Harley! Harley! WAKE UP, its time for dinner…


I peeled my eyes open, yawned and ran full speed for dining room table. My mom giggled and said you’re not sitting there; you’re a dog and then placed my bowl of dog food on the ground. [Sigh] That’s when I realized that I was only dreaming…


Despite Harley's VIVID and delicious DREAMS, he knows that he is allowed to only eat his dog food and dog treats. During the holidays there are all kinds of wonderful dishes that you may feel inclined to feed your pet, but it’s very important to remember that dogs should never eat table scraps or human food. Even though many dogs will eat just about anything and seem like they “need” or “want” human food it could be extremely dangerous.


A dog’s digestive system is very different then our own, which means that dogs are unable to tolerate certain ingredients and processed foods. Some foods are so dangerous they could be potentially fatal, i.e. chocolate, raisins, onions, coffee, avocados, mushrooms, sugar, corn syrup, fruits and so much more.


Please note: ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435.
US Poison Control Center: (800) 222-1222.


Many dogs can tolerate veggies like carrots, spinach, green beans, kale, which I like to sauté for Harley frequently. Some vegetables are very healthy for dogs, in which many times they crave green veggies. It is very important to consult with your vet before you give your dog anything other then their specially-formulated dog food.  


All-in-all even if your pooch is begging for a tiny taste of your thanksgiving feast, please use extreme caution, do not give in and opt to give your him/her a dog treat instead. If your dog seems like he/she will go crazy from the delicious smells that will fill your home this holiday season, then try to distract your pooch with either a chew toy, treat or one of Harley’s Fantastic Cool-tastic Icey Treats. Remember a healthy pooch is a happy pooch which = happy pet parents!

On behalf of Harley and Harley’s Mission we want to wish you and yours a 
HaPpY aNd FuRrY ThAnKsGiViNg!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment