Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Dog behind the MISSION

One day my Mom and I were walking in our neighborhood when we were suddenly approached by an something rather odd. There was a tall woman and her companion was a very tiny [and may I say adorable] Beagle. The woman was friendly and her little dog was oh so cute. But this was not the unusual part. What was odd was the little dog had a very hurtful choke collar on!! I knew exactly what my Mom was thinking. Is that necessary? Does the woman know how inhumane and hurtful a collar like that is? Probably not, because she never wore one. 

As we passed the woman and her dog, my Mom and I were in shock and thought the woman was probably thinking that she was "training" her dog or doing what was "best" for her friend. We knew it was wrong. Choke collars are a very inhumane way of training, which teaches dogs through violence, furthermore these collars are not successful, the way some owners may perceive them to be. I doubt anyone would want sharp, poking, metal prongs digging into their throat just for making a behavioral error. 

When we passed, we desparately wanted to say something like, " why do you have a choke collar on your dog, especially a dog that probably doesn't weigh more than 25 lbs.?" Or "what? you can't control your dog?" Or "have you ever thought about actually training your dog, instead of opting for violence?" We had a lot to say, but said nothing. 


Another day, we were walking in our community when we saw a woman smack her dog across the face for barking at us. Sure, it wasn't nice her dog was barking, but dogs are going to bark. If you don't want them to, then it is mandatory that you train them otherwise with positive reinforcement with treats and praise versus violence anger. It makes perfect sense. I was taken back by how nasty her smack was, but would you believe that my Mom actually yelled out "you aren't going to stop your dog's violent behavior by being violent toward your dog!!!" 

These stories, along with MANY others, give birth to our mission, Harley's Mission. My Mom and I go on a lot of walks, hikes and dog parks so we see a lot of leader-dog relationships. But sadly, the relationship that we see between the leader and the dog is heartbreaking all to often. Initially people have good intentions when they choose to get a new friend, for reasons like loyalty, friendship, exercise buddy, responsibility and more, but somewhere along the line forget about all the necessary training, dedication, support that it takes to make a happy relationship. Harley's Mission is to rectify this relationship by teaching the community about being responsible for both you and your dog's well being and happiness. There is a lot to consider to ensure that this relationship is positive, but do not worry that is why you have Harley's Mission. Your go-to for all things relating to your dog. We are an open, supportive team here to be a resource for the betterment of canine-kind and the relationship between all humans and their dogs.

EDUCATION is the fundamental backbone to my story and to so many dogs. My story starts out as a sad one, but with a very happy ending. Although I couldn't be more grateful for my new home and new family, I feel its important to tell you about my past.


I was surrendered to the animal shelter because my former-family got evicted from their home and did not take me with them. Instead they left me in the evicted house, where the landlord found me and then brought me to the shelter. It was scary and unnecessary for my former "family" to get rid of the me this way. I feel that if these people were educated on being responsible, then perhaps my life would have been a little bit easier. 

This is the basis behind HARLEY'S MISSION. We value our readers and hope to provide you with a educational resource that benefits the bond between leaders and dogs alike.
Facts about Harley:
  • I am a pro at the following commands:
    • Sit
    • Lay down
    • Stay
    • Shake [with both paws]
  • I was rescued from the animal shelter on February 27, 2009, by my parents Janel and Ari
  • My guilty pleasures are cheese and carrots
  • I take Burdock Root, a natural herb, that relieves my sensitive skin
  • I love to laugh, a lot
  • I am jet black, but have a couple of extra colors: shades of chocolate and vanilla
  • I love to sleep in
  • My parents tell me "good boy" when I jump on the bed, because they love me
  • I love jumping into lakes, especially dirty ones
  • I love to lean against anything that isn't flat, i.e. walls, beds, chairs, desks, books etc.
  • I am working to become a Pet Therapy dog, which starts very soon
  • I love people especially kids
  • I hate rubber toys and tennis balls
  • I am obsessed with shadows and flashlights





Stay Tuned for forthcoming, "The Human behind the Mission."

2 comments:

  1. You're such a sweetheart, Harley. And your mom is a smart lady!

    I feel your frustration with irresponsible dog (dare I say) "ownership". I don't even like the word, because dogs aren't property and they shouldn't be treated as such; not by people, and not by the law (me being in the field, I come across plenty of nasty stuff, but thankfully, small steps are taken towards better understanding).

    You're doing a great job educating through your blog, and you make it fun to read ... thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thank you Sparky's Mom! We sincerely appreciate your kind words and feedback. I agree with your feelings regarding the term "ownership" and the negative connotation that is associated with the word. Like yourself, I hate the word too. I refer to it many times throughout the blog and sadly (and frustrating too) I can't seem to get around it. When I write it I put it in quotations because I do not feel that I "own" my dog, as I wouldn't own my child, but rather our relationship is an equal one where he has rights and is entitled to be himself.

    I find the word "ownership" to connote a negative ideology about how we view animals, and companion ones more specifically. I currently have used pet care instead, which I hope gets the message across. Every small step is worth it for us to help animals to get the love, respect and comfort in this world, that they so desperately deserve.

    Again, we greatly appreciate your time in writing to us and look forward to hearing from you again. Please check the blog often, for we update it daily. If there is anything that you would like to see more of, i.e. stories, information etc please don't hesitate to write.

    ReplyDelete