Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I love the dog park!

When my mom says "dog park" I know that this means something real special. As we pull up, I am overwhelmed with delicious smells of dog butts, dog hair and drool. I love that initial jump out of the car. Only to reach the fenced gate, to watch all of my new friends greet me with wagging tails and long tongues nearly touching the ground. I love going to the dog park. Nothing like running freely with my own species and letting loose for a change. I love being home, but gosh just a day at the park does a body good.

I noticed when we are at the park, my mom seems pleased, happy that i'm having a good time, but I can tell she is nervous. That's my mom, always nervous. She gets nervous because of germs and she is unsure of the other dogs at the park. Maybe they are aggressive, maybe they won't like me or maybe I'll hump them. She sure does hate humping (but I love it)! I try to tell her not to worry, after all I'm a likable guy and of course I know when to stay away from the aggressive, mean dogs.

This is me at one of my favorite parks that has a lake.

This is me and my mom, isn't she the best?

This is my serious, pensive picture, or maybe I saw a bird that I wanted to chase.

Let's face it, we dogs always love going to the park. But of course our parents are skeptical at times: germs, diseases, aggressiveness, humping. I don't blame them, but its important for us to let our energy out, let loose and exercise. Exercise is fundamental to our health and wellbeing. If you can't go to the dog park, then make sure your human gives you plenty of good exercise. It's so important. Below are a few safety tips that my mom and I came up with to keep you and your human safe at the park:

Harley's Helpful, Handy-Dandy Dog Park Checklist
1. Plenty of fresh, clean water (for you and your human) and a travel bowl
2. Sturdy leash
3. Quality collar that has all of your important information (your dog-wallet)
4. Camera
5. Sunscreen for both your human and for the pooches that have sensitive skin or light colored fur
6. A watch (don't loose track of the time, its important that we get plenty of time at the park, but not too much
7. Cell phone (never know where there could be an emergency)
8. Hand sanitizer (human's can never be too clean)

9. Biodegradable poop bags
10. Attentiveness: You must watch your pooch at all times, its very important to be careful.

Click on these links for resources on dog park etiquette and safety precautions:

This is me after a long day at the dog park {{sigh}} so sleepy ...


Disclaimer: remember to please consider your dog's health, temperament and behavior before going to a dog park. Ask your vet if going to the dog park is a good choice for you and your human.

No comments:

Post a Comment